About the DesignerLudwig Mies van der Rohe
Germany (1866 - 1969)
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe began his career working in his father's stonemasonry business. After an apprenticeship with furniture designer Bruno Paul in Berlin, he joined the office of architect Peter Behrens, whose work presaged the modern movement. In 1912, Mies established his own office in Berlin, and later became a member of the Deutscher Werkbund and Director of the Bauhaus. He immigrated to the United States in 1938, setting up a practice in Chicago. His buildings include the German Pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona Exposition, the Tugendhat Villa in Brno, Czechoslovakia, the Seagram Building, designed with Philip Johnson, a cluster of residential towers along Chicago's Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and the Illinois Institute of Technology campus, where he was the director of architecture. Designed by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Created by Ludwig Mies van der Rohe for the German Pavilion at the 1929 Barcelona Exposition, the Child's Barcelona Stool features the pure compositional structure that now epitomizes modern architecture. Reduced to an 85% scale of the standard Barcelona Stool, this piece is truly a classic in every sense of the word. From the comfortable leather upholstery, right down to the sleek silhouette--the Child's Barcelona Stool is modern furniture at its finest.
From the hand-buffed frame to the eighteen Spinneybeck leather panels carefully hand-welted together and hand-tufted with leather and buttons--the Child's Barcelona Stool is a hand-crafted, modern masterpiece. Mies van der Rohe's original 1929 design has managed to stay relevant today, fitting in seamlessly with almost any decor--from casual to formal--the Child's Barcelona Stool is a must-have for your little one. Each stool is a tribute to traditional craftsmanship and meticulous attention to detail. Either on its own, or paired with the Child's Barcelona Chair, this exceptional piece is just what you were looking for. Upholstered with high quality Spinneybeck cowhide, the Barcelona Lounge Collection was honored with The Museum of Modern Art Award in 1977. Each piece also features the KnollStudio® logo and a stamp of Mies van der Rohe's signature. The entire Barcelona Lounge Collection is GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®.
- Design Year: 1929
- Exclusive manufacturing and sales rights accorded to Knoll by the designer in 1953
- Child's stool is reduced to an 85% scale of the standard size
- Frame: hand-ground and hand-buffed chrome with a mirror finish
- Upholstery attaches to frame with aluminum rivets
- Seat and back cushions adapt to fit curve of frame
- Chair and stool contain belting support straps
- Cushions are premium quality, highly resilient urethane foam with down-like dacron polyester fiberfill
- The KnollStudio logo and designer signature are stamped on each piece
- The Barcelona Lounge Seating Collection is Greenguard Certified
Chair & Stool features panels-cut, hand-welted and hand-tufted with Spinneybeck leather and buttons. Panels and buttons are produced from a single piece of Spinneybeck cowhide.
- Volo: A lightly corrected, aniline Spinneybeck leather. The light correcting process refines the surface of the leather, preparing the material for the reception of the grain enhancement given prior to finishing. Volo receives a special retannage which enriches the leather, tightens the grain and provides a hand and a level of quality superior to those of other corrected leathers. Heavy finish. Chrome tannage. Breathable protective finish. Greenguard Certified. Grade U
- Sabrina Leather: A Spinneybeck full grain leather. This leather provides a smooth, tight grain and suppleness of hand. It is perfect for high-traffic use in places such as office seating or lounge furniture. Medium finish. Chrome tannage. Breathable, protective finish. Greenguard certified. Knoll Grade U
- Acqua Leather: By Spinneybeck. Acqua is a durable, water-resistant leather suitable for a wide range of applications. The combination of a special retannage and technically-advanced finishing process results in a leather that is not only water-resistant but also practical for applications that require a durable finish. Mildew resistant. Chrome tannage. Breathable protective water-resistant finish. GREENGUARD Certified
- The Museum of Modern Art Award – 1977
Order with Confidence:
- Overall Chair Dimensions: 25" H x 24" W x 24" D
- Seat Height: 14"
- Overall Stool Dimensions: 12" H x 19" W x 18" D
- Seat height: 12"
Note: This quality item is custom made for your order. Unfortunately, this means that orders cannot be cancelled or returned once placed, so please call our trained staff with any questions you may have prior to ordering - we will ensure that you get exactly what you need.
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such "green" initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council
- The Barcelona Lounge Seating Collection is Greenguard certified
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Barcelona Stool that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost
- Each authentic Knoll product is stamped with the KnollStudio Logo and designer signature and includes a certificate of authenticity Please Note: This product does not meet Cal 133 specifications.