Next Steps to Consider
Now it's time for the fun part! Once you've figured out the placement of bigger fixtures (tub, shower, toilet, vanity), the next step is to determine what type of flooring you need, storage and accessory options, and finally, your lighting options.
Storage and Accessories
- When choosing showers and tubs, pick a style with a slip-resistant bottom or floor.
- Since most bathroom floors are tiled, prevent slipping with a bathroom rug or bath mat in front of the shower/tub or vanity/sink.
- For a unique alternative to floor tiles, consider cork flooring because it's water, mold, and mildew resistant. Plus, it's a lot softer in case you do slip or fall!
- Whether you have a small or large space, remember to include an abundant amount of storage (like decorative baskets or shelving) for general bathroom supplies, such as bath linens, toiletries, and more.
- Hang a vanity mirror above a vanity or near the toilet for grooming and to make your space feel bigger and visually interesting. Place the the mirror at eye-level or slightly above.
- Remember to install a toilet paper holder. Place it at least 8 to 12 inches in front of the toilet bowl edge and at least 26 inches above the floor.
- Additional bathroom accessories (towel holders, soap dishes, toothbrush holders) should be placed in convenient locations near its designated bath fixture. For example: A soap dish needs to be placed near the sink for easy access.
- In addition to general lighthing, include task lighting to create a more functional bathroom. Lighted and magnifying mirrors make applying make up or general grooming easier.
- Bathrooms are usually the most damp and wet places in the home, so make sure the light fixtures you choose to install in a tub or shower space are suitable for this room.
- Hang fixtures at least 8 feet above a tub and at least 3 feet to the left or right from of the tub's rim.
- For a more flattering light option, flank a vanity mirror with wall lighting or sconces on each side; compared to a single ceiling light, it produces less shadows.