Charles and Ray Eames adapted molding techniques developed during World War II to mass produce this classic design. Today's Molded Plastic Rocking Chairs are true to the originals and are fully authentic, with updated materials to meet environmental requirements. Charles and Ray Eames, always interested in new materials, saw in plastic the chance to form organic seat shells that conform to the body's shape. The enduring forms and quality construction make the Molded Plastic Rocking Chairs - available here with a classic Eames wire base - comfortable, durable performers. The design: New materials, especially those that held promise for doing more with less, fascinated Charles and Ray Eames throughout their careers. Their fascination led to inventive modern furniture, such as this char. Designed in 1948, it was the first plastic chair to be mass produced the current models look exactly the same as the originals. They remain un-upholstered, in keeping with the Eames’s requirement that materials be expressed honestly and unselfconsciously. In fact, these were the first one-piece plastic chairs to be left uncovered at the same time, the chairs are better than ever. For example, the shell is now manufactured using more environmentally friendly, high-impact plastic.
- Landmark sesign
- Organic shape
- Clean, simple form sculpted to fit the body
- First presented at the Museum of Modern Art in 1948, the chairs have achieved a pervasive presence that proves the staying power of good design
- Today's recreation looks the same as the original
- Classic Eames wire base
- Durable design, even in public spaces
- Many uses in the home, office, reception area, or training room
- Thoughtful engineering
- Designed for minimum environmental impact
- Shells are recyclable polypropylene
- Rubber shock mounts where shell meets the base provide extended comfort
- Smart construction
- Shell is dyed throughout so colors remain vibrant even after years of hard use
- Wayfair stands behind our 100% Price-Match guarantee on all Herman Miller products
- Wayfair also backs a 12-Year warranty. Should you experience any problems with your Eames Molded Plastic Rocking Chair, Herman Miller will cover the cost of fixing it for you
See something odd?
Report it here.