In any design problem, one should seek the solution in terms of the next largest thing, designer Eero Saarinen once said. ''If the problem is a chair, then its solution must be found in the way it relates to the room.'' One glance at the ultra-modern Tulip Chair and you'll instantly think of a place in your home for it. Whether you put four of them around your kitchen table or in your home office, the Tulip Chair is a standout addition to any setting. Eero Saarinen might be considered by some to be a purist when it came to his approach towards architecture and interior design. He sought the essential idea and reduced it to the most effective structural solution within an overall unity of design. To that end, he designed the Tulip Chair in 1957 in terms of setting, rather than a particular shape. The Tulip is a single-legged chair made from fiberglass-reinforced resin. With Tulip, Saarinen realized his ideal form of unity: ''Every significant piece of furniture from the past has a holistic structure.'' Saarinen's Tulip Chair won the prestigious Museum of Modern Art Award in 1969, the Federal Award for Industrial Design in 1969 as well as the Design Center Stuttgart Award in 1962. Each authentic Tulip Chair features the KnollStudio® logo and designer signature stamped into the base of the chair. The chair is available black, white or platinum, with arms or without, and comes with a wide variety of fabric options. Additionally, the Tulip Chair is GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified®. Design Year: 1957Frame: Molded fiberglass with a reinforced, plastic bonded finishBase: Cast aluminum in a rilsan coated finishCushion: Removable, with zippered cover and Velcro fasteningChair available with either a fixed or swivel baseUpholstered in your choice of fabric from a wide selection of Knoll textiles and Spinneybeck leathers Upholstery Options Mariner: A plump weave structure brings texture and depth, a solid upholstery fabric well suited for task seating and other classic contract applications. Nylon 100.0%. Backing-Acrylic. Knoll Grade A. Vinyl: KnollTextiles Vinyl provides a workhorse upholstery solution in a palette of classic neutrals and primary brights. Cotton (backing) 3.0%, Vinyl (Face) 91.0%, Polyester (Backing) 6.0%. Knoll Grade BClassic Boucle: The rich, nubby texture of Classic Bouclé is evocative of traditional hand woven upholstery textiles. Recently recolored, Classic Bouclé is a timeless addition to any interior. Wool 43.0%, Nylon 57.0%. Backing-Acrylic. Knoll Grade BCato: Introduced in 1961, Cato has achieved iconic status among upholstery textiles. Primarily constructed of wool, the exaggerated texture of this pattern recalls the hand weaving tradition. Wool 86.0%, Rayon 14.0%. Backing-Acrylic. Knoll Grade ISpencer: A rich epinglé that comes in a range of saturated colors. Wool pile 45.0%, Cotton Ground 55.0%. Finish-mothproof. Knoll Grade GVolo: A lightly corrected, aniline Spinneybeck leather. The light correcting process refines the surface of the leather, preparing the material for the reception of the grain enhancement given prior to finishing. Volo receives a special retannage which enriches the leather, tightens the grain and provides a hand and a level of quality superior to those of other corrected leathers. Heavy finish. Chrome tannage. Breathable protective finish. Greenguard Certified. Grade USabrina Leather: A Spinneybeck full grain leather. This leather provides a smooth, tight grain and suppleness of hand. It is perfect for high-traffic use in places such as office seating or lounge furniture. Medium finish. Chrome tannage. Breathable, protective finish. Greenguard certified. Knoll Grade UUltrasuede: The premier microfiber in the marketplace. Made from 80% recycled materials. Designed for wrapped panel, wallcovering and upholstery applications. Knoll Grade G. Please call for more upholstery options Awards:
- Museum of Modern Art Award - 1969
- Federal Award for Industrial Design - 1969
- Design Center Stuttgart Award - 1962
- : Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such ''green'' initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED® certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- : The Saarinen Tulip Chair is Greenguard certified.
- : Should you discover shortly after receiving your Tulip Chair that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost.
- : Each authentic Knoll product is stamped with the KnollStudio® Logo and designer signature and includes a certificate of authenticity.
- *This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into production Dimensions:Order with Confidence:
- : Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty.
- Frame Material: Metal; Plastic
- Number of Items Included: 1
See something odd?
Report it here.